My Tom Hanks Moment...

The next story happened a few years ago, but I have to share it with you, cuz... well... it's pretty cool. Just read!

So... a few years ago, I went to visit my aunt and uncle in Spain. I stayed there for a little bit and then we all flew back to Amsterdam together.
On departure day, I had a Tom Hanks moment... This is the story I wrote:
Remember 'Sleepless In Seattle'??? When Meg Ryan was getting off the plane in Seattle, while Tom was dropping off that other woman... When he laid eyes on Meg for the first time, he was just standing there in amazement... The whole world around him stopped for a moment, no people, no sounds, no nothing... Just her... and something just 'clicked'...

Well, I had that too, that 'click'... With a guy I saw at Malaga Airport in Spain...
I saw him from miles away walking in my direction... Gorgeous black man, nicely dressed, bouncy dreads, good posture... Looking at me... smiling...
I hadn't seen anything that yummy in a LONG time, so my eyes were drawn to him from a distance and they stayed focused until he approached me.
And when he was just a few steps away, I recognized him. He's a Dutch international soccer player, at that time playing for Madrid.

(side note: I'm not at all a big soccer fan, but I remember this guy, cuz his career started at a very young age, and there was a lot of hype around it... He also did an ad for an organization against racism... The posters of him dressed in a white suit were all over Amsterdam at that time, and I remember every time I saw one of these posters, I felt all warm inside. Gorgeous gorgeous man....)

Later on I passed him on my way to the plane, he smiled and said 'hi'... Then on the plane, he passed me again, and again we smiled at each other... I even looked around to see where he was going to be seated, and he looked around, back at me again too...
I knew I was blushing, and I'm sure the whole plane could feel my heartbeat... I remember accidentally saying to myself "God, I'm staring!" out loud, and my uncle asked me: "What was that?" and I was like: "Ehmmm... nothing..."

I spent 2hrs and 45mins thinking of a way to give him my telephone number...
But I was too shy...
I thought I would write my name and number down on a piece of paper and just slip it to him at some point, but I was seated in between my aunt and uncle, and I didn't really have any privacy... I thought if they'd see what I was doing, they'd think I'm an idiot. So I guess I'd rather seem like a sane person to them, (a sane single-for-the-rest-of-my-life person, I should say) than have a shot at... something.

But then again, guys like this are never single, are they? He's probably got a gorgeous trophy wife and a bunch of kids stacked away somewhere...

So anyway, almost 3 hours later, when we got to Amsterdam airport I saw him again at the baggage claim... More glances and smiles... And on my way out, I gave him my prettiest smile and said "bye" in kind of a disappointed tone... and that was it...

And now I feel like such an idiot! Why did I chicken out? I keep thinking about it... I keep thinking about what I could have done... What I should have done... I keep wondering if maybe I imagined the whole thing, or if he was really staring at me too... He really was, wasn't he?
And I haven't been able to let it go... To tell you the truth, I haven't slept in two days! I feel like a lovesick teenager... Or better yet; a damn fool!

Of course you exchange glances with strangers more than once in a life time... But this was more than a glance... There were multiple glances!
And I just kinda felt that "something"... Really! I'm not kidding...

Anyway, since then I found out that he is in fact single... Yeaaa! And I know he's gonna be in Amsterdam for a little while longer playing at some soccer tournament next weekend... (which, of course, I'll be attending...)
So far I've also found out that I know 4 people that have some kind of connection with him or with people that know him, so I put them on the case to get me his number, or give him my number...
I figured; what if he felt the 'click' too... I'm just a normal person (well... normal?)... He doesn't know a thing about me... So what if I've been on his mind too? It's easier for me to track him down, than the other way around... So I gotta try it...

A friend of mine told me I was obsessed with the whole thing and I should just let it go... She said; "If it comes back to you, it's yours..." yeayeayea, I heard that before... (So far, only the shitty ones have come back...)
Another friend of mine told me to stay on the case... He said; "What if next time he's on the plane and some girl's smiling at him that's not too shy to give him her number... You go for yours girl!"

And seriously, sometimes you just gotta help faith a little... Right?

~ End of Part One ~

Part two will be posted in a few days... Stay Tuned!

But in the meantime... Tell me; What would YOU do in a situation like that? Would you have approached the other person? And what would you have said??? Let me know, I'm curious...

1 comments:

Jayquan K said...

I happened to have a moment just like that once when I was in California for a conference. I had just finished up and i was on my was up back to my hotel and I waited at the elevator all by myself and then as soon as the door open for me to get in a girl came and entered with me. She was stunning I tried so hard not to stare too much so I wouldn't seen weird. We both made eye contact said our names but nothing else then I got too shy to say anything else and it hurt so bad that I could have been missing out on this person that could of been special. So of course she got off on her floor and I punched myself in the head for choking. I tried to walk through the floor like I was searching for ice hoping to see her again but it didn't happen.I know now that I just need to go for it no matter what since you never know what may happen. If things go bad then they missed out on you and you at least get to move on without regretting